Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Image of a Tattoo Artist


When you think of a tattoo artist what do you envision? In this business the artist is more diverse then the work that is performed on the clients. When you think about the many types of backgrounds artist come from it's mind boggling. For instance I'm considered by most to be a Biker. I ride choppers and like the Biker scene more then say going to a progressive art show. Some other artist come from the "Hood" where they started on graffiti then moved onto doing house parties and finally into a shop. Both types in this example started their careers on the rebel side of society as I like to call it.

Then you have artist that done nothing but draw all their life because it was a passion. The passion drove them to explore different mediums to practice the craft until they were led to tattooing. Some of these artist came from middle class and higher income neighborhoods. Then of course the one type of artist that doesn't fit the bill of any of the above. "The Punk Rocker" This is an artist that takes the freedom of the craft to a whole different level. They take everything to the extreme and it shows in their artwork as well as their piercings.

I believe with all these different personalities, this is the reason why our industry is one of the best to work in. The art that is produced is just out of this world. The best place to see all of these types of artist mix is on the convention circuit. It's always a trip seeing everyone who is a different kind of artist sling their type of art on someone. I love watching the suspension shows that are put on. Thats when they put hooks in someones back and suspend them in mid air. 

So what type of artist do you consider yourself? Depending on what type you think you are is how your work will be classified. I'm proud to be considered in the Biker category. You could even say I'm in the Hood category also. I like being at the street level of things. I grew up in Melrose Park right outside of Chicago's North Side. I was around gangbangers and bikers all my life. My artwork shows that style and passion. I love seeing all the people come in that really match my style. The names tattoo and paw prints, the traditional sparrows and more. Of course I've really taking a liking to Traditional Japanese and look forward to really diving into this art form.
 

Blog Archive

Friends

Blog List