Thursday, January 27, 2011

What does a coloring book have in common with tattooing?

What does a Coloring book have to do with tattooing? Well I get this all the time from some new Apprentices that start our school. I'm quick to point out that even after 16 years of tattooing I still have them around the house and use them any chance I get. Most of the time while sitting at the shop you'll find me doing random flash sheets of the wall. It's not only relaxing and makes you focus more on something fun, it really helps me develop a shading plan with different shapes.

I had two students tell me they thought they couldn't draw and they were doing bad. My response was simple. Yes you need your drawing to not only be creative but also if your stencil wipes off. Let's face it everyone tattooing is just like the old reliable coloring book. We put the stencil on and color it in when the line work is done. Thats the basics when you look at it really close up. I told them we are all not the best artist on paper but if they can master the lining and shading in a coloring book then they could really make an impact on skin.

To many times in the industry I heard artist bash those without much drawing skill on paper. As soon as those same artist that were bashed got on skin they would just run over those with advance art skill. Going from paper to skin is two different mediums. Not all people like drawing on say paper. Some don't like doing anything but working with clay. So does it really make a difference if someone can draw suburb on paper and not do the same work on skin?

Tattooing is the art that will take a lifetime of learning. It seems like every couple of years some new fad or style comes into the industry. We as tattoo artist have to adjust to the trends and help those around us who need the help also adjust. I cannot say it enough. "Just because someone isn't a pro at drawing doesn't mean they can't make a great tattoo artist."
 

Blog Archive

Friends

Blog List