Monday, June 8, 2009

Tattoo tutorial for a Maori / Kirituhi design in 5 steps

Hi!

Today I will show you another example on how I draw my Kirituhi / Maori tattoos.
I always use A3 size paper of 200 grams/m2. My tools are good quality H2 and some B1 and B2 pencils. For the final tracing and fills I use a "Paper Mate" marker with a tip of 1-2 mm.
This marker will not smudge when I erase my pencil lines, as many others do.
If you wish to order these markers, just follow this link and search for "paper mate"

First I make a rough outline of the area I will cover.
Then the fern shapes or koru are made in a flowing line and pattern and between these shapes I make some interesting fills and patterns.
When the fill is done I trace the image with a steady hand and erase all pencil lines.
Finally I scan the design and remove some dust and clean it up a little.

Here's a small photo impression of some stages of the design process.








The final piece looks like this.

















Any questions, comments or reactions are welcome!

Kind regards, Mark
 

Blog Archive

Friends

Blog List